Skip to main content

Green Soup

 

 


My niece, Lucy, gave me a wonderful cookbook called Love Soup, by Anna Thomas. I remember being given cookbooks by this author in 1978 and being mystified and impressed by the idea of vegetarianism as a life choice. I have to confess that those books were a bit too advanced for me at the time, but I still have them and I'll be delving into them soon and sharing my experiences, I promise!

Back to Love Soup: I adapted her recipe for Green Soup, using items I had on hand, and of course, eliminating non-permitted foods (you recall that I am sensitive to foods, including wheat and corn, lettuce and broccoli, lemon and maple, etc). The results were so fantastic I had to share the recipe! When the weather gets cool again, give this a try!

Ingredients:
1/2 sweet onion
chopped kale, spinach and arugula (about a handful of each)
1 TBLSP dried cilantro (if you have fresh, even better!)
1/2 tsp salt
grind of pepper
1 cup veggie broth
2 TSPs Better Than Bouillon vegetable paste
3 cups of water

Saute the onion, add the remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer, then add:
1 chopped potato
1 chopped sweet potato

Simmer for about 20 minutes until veggies are soft, then puree with immersion blender, but leave some chunkiness.


Enjoy! The greens in this soup were so healthy and refreshing!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Golabki or Chard Bundles, Vegetarian

Today I am hoping to repeat the success of a recent meal in recreating what my mother  used to call "Pigs in the Blanket," a much loved stuffed cabbage recipe. My husband, who of Polish heritage, calls them golabki, which is pronounced "Gawumky." I made up a recipe to use up the excess chard and kale in our garden, and they tasted really delicious! Here is my original recipe: Ingredients: 1  cup cooked quinoa.  1 cup of ground beef substitute (I used Trader Joe's brand) Sauteed half of a large onion Sauteed mushrooms, about 7 medium size 2 cloves garlic, also sauteed. About 20 chard or kale leaves, on the large side. Blanche kale or chard leaves briefly. Cool and remove center stem. Set aside. Add quinoa and beef substitute to sauteed veggies. Add 2 beaten eggs and seasoning (fresh parsley, ground red pepper). Fill and roll bundles and secure with toothpick, Put broth and some tomato sauce in bottom of large skillet. I used the water that I blanch

Welcome

 to my new blog, which I've tentatively entitled Within Limits. As time goes on, I may come up with something snazzier. I created this blog to share my experiences cooking for myself within the limits of food allergies, recently uncovered. I have had digestive troubles for years, and, learned from blood test results that I am sensitive to wheat and corn, among other things. Living as a pescetarian (veg except for fish) for the past 15 years has already limited food choices, so the newly uncovered food sensitivities have narrowed the scope of allowed items even further. Or has it?  Very recently, it has begun to occur to me that there are lots of options out there, even tastier ones than those I can no longer indulge in! For example, I am now experimenting with my newest gadget, a spiralizer, to make veg noodles. Yesterday I managed to make them from butternut squash! Got a book out of my local library called Spiralize This , by Martha Rose Shulman, whose books I had already been

Spelt Pizza with Hummus

    Yesterday, I tried a new recipe for homemade pizza crust using spelt, buckwheat and gluten-free baking mix from Bob's Redmill. All in all, I deem it a success; the crust, after baking for about 20" at 475 degrees F, was nicely crispy and flavorful. Then I tried something new (and risky, cause my husband is a pizza traditionalist!) : I put hummus on the crust, followed by chopped sweet red pepper, olives, and tiny chopped asparagus spears (on just half, because it's a no-no for me). I finished it with some parmesan and mozzarella cheeses and baked it. For the second pizza, I covered the dough with ricotta, followed by veggies including some arugula. They both came out really delicious, though next time I would not bake the arugula: I would wait and add it after the pizza came out of the oven, as some of the nice tang was missing after baking. A little drizzle of grapeseed oil on top kept the arugula from drying out.  What really surprised me was how tasty the hum