Skip to main content

Rainy Day

"It's raining in Baltimore fifty miles east
Where you should be, no one's around
I need a phone call
I need a raincoat
I need a big love
I need a phone call..." --Counting Crows

Woke up today feeling blue. Sometimes you start the day that way, for a million reasons, none of them all that awful in and of themselves. But the colors of beautiful paintings and fresh veggies always cheer me up, I guess it is color therapy! Also, the big brown eyes of my George Clooney dog, Mondo, help get me out of my funk. I decided that sharing some "oh, wow" discoveries might buoy my spirits, so here goes.

Found a cool new cable program on cooking healthily called Hemsley and Hemsley. Two sisters, Brits, who love to create healthy recipes. The show I saw first featured kid-friendly fish fingers and little pizzas made from chickpea flour, so I definitely want to try those. They have a great website and a new cookbook. It is fun to learn the English words for zucchini (courgette) and convert the measurements from grams to ounces (unless you're in a hurry!) Check them out. I plan to try out and review some of their recipes here, so stand by.

Made a delish and simple recipe for my pierogi-loving husband last week (I couldn't eat much of it because of the wheat sensitivity, but it would work with wheat-free stuffed ravioli or tortelini). Here it is:

Pierogi's with Leek and Kale Butter Sauce:

Chop a cleaned leek and some kale (any kind). Saute gently in butter, or you could combine a little butter with healthy olive oil, total of about 2 Tablespoons. After everything is tender, remove from pan and set aside. Heat pan and add pierogi (I like to buy frozen pierogi stuffed with cheese or cheese and potato). Fry these until they get a golden crust, then flip and fry a few more minutes, then add a very little water and cover with a lid, letting the pierogi steam for about 5 minutes. Serve them with the cooked vegetables and a side of cottage cheese. 

So there you go! The other recipe I have been wanting to share is from the Rawsome Vegan Cookbook mentioned in my previous post for Fully Loaded Yams. Oh my gosh! This recipe is super simple, healthy, and the flavors are outstanding. I honestly could eat it every day!  Thank you to Emily Von Euw for this! Here is a link to the recipe online. I modified hers slightly by using sliced kale along with some cabbage for crunch, and I added extra vinegar and salt and pepper to the kale-cabbage mixture.

Until next time, eat healthy and pet your dog!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Golabki or Chard Bundles, Vegetarian

Today I am hoping to repeat the success of a recent meal in recreating what my mother  used to call "Pigs in the Blanket," a much loved stuffed cabbage recipe. My husband, who of Polish heritage, calls them golabki, which is pronounced "Gawumky." I made up a recipe to use up the excess chard and kale in our garden, and they tasted really delicious! Here is my original recipe: Ingredients: 1  cup cooked quinoa.  1 cup of ground beef substitute (I used Trader Joe's brand) Sauteed half of a large onion Sauteed mushrooms, about 7 medium size 2 cloves garlic, also sauteed. About 20 chard or kale leaves, on the large side. Blanche kale or chard leaves briefly. Cool and remove center stem. Set aside. Add quinoa and beef substitute to sauteed veggies. Add 2 beaten eggs and seasoning (fresh parsley, ground red pepper). Fill and roll bundles and secure with toothpick, Put broth and some tomato sauce in bottom of large skillet. I used the water that I blanch...

Birthday Lunch at Great Sage Restaurant

It has been some time since I posted here. Been very busy getting ready to exhibit four paintings for a fundraising event, and preparing for a family celebration. All that behind me, today was my birthday. Not telling how old I am, but you can guess because I was humming a certain Beatles song all day long. My best friend and spouse took me to lunch at a vegan restaurant in Clarkesville, Maryland called Great Sage. We dined al fresco on veg reuben sndwiches made from tempeh and organic saurkraut, with sides of coleslaw, and topped it all off with shared desserts: spouse had blackberry cheesecake and I ordered coconut ice cream. Great coffee and appetizers of kale juice. I am still full and it is dinner time! The weather was lovely and afterwards, we shopped at a gift store in the same shopping center called Nest (very cool items, highly recommend it) and Roots organic grocery. It was my favorite sort of celebration. Not only was the food delicious, I FEEL great! No negative after eff...

Welcome

 to my new blog, which I've tentatively entitled Within Limits. As time goes on, I may come up with something snazzier. I created this blog to share my experiences cooking for myself within the limits of food allergies, recently uncovered. I have had digestive troubles for years, and, learned from blood test results that I am sensitive to wheat and corn, among other things. Living as a pescetarian (veg except for fish) for the past 15 years has already limited food choices, so the newly uncovered food sensitivities have narrowed the scope of allowed items even further. Or has it?  Very recently, it has begun to occur to me that there are lots of options out there, even tastier ones than those I can no longer indulge in! For example, I am now experimenting with my newest gadget, a spiralizer, to make veg noodles. Yesterday I managed to make them from butternut squash! Got a book out of my local library called Spiralize This , by Martha Rose Shulman, whose books I had already ...